Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sarah Palin: A Spiritual Thermometer Part 2

Spiritual Thermometer
I equate warmth with the glow of caring and cold with the chill of hate. The great spiritual teachers have had the ability to see past a person's ego and actions. A true 'guru' sees the great beauty of a person's spirit even if they disagree with their actions. They hold the warmth of kindness for a fellow human being regardless of the situation or circumstance. How could I use the example of Buddha, Jesus or Mohamed to raise the temperature of my compassion?

Looking at my hardened heart I saw I had a block of the ice of indignation and blame for Palin and her party. I don't have to like her or McCain. I don't need to become apathetic or stop speaking up.

Ron Hulnick, Ph.D. raised an incredible issue at a recent University of Santa Monica event. He proposed that I look closely at the statement: "I am upset because _______." Do I accept that outer circumstances have the power to make me happy or unhappy? Regardless of what is happening outside I am the one's in control of my reactions. As impossible as it seems these days, the outer world doesn't make me upset. My perception or inner filter or button is what makes me cringe.

The Soul of Sarah Palin
The more I can view Sarah and Company as spiritual being having a human experience the more I raise my spiritual temperature of loving. There is a place in me that can love her even if I dislike her and everything she stands for. I have more to contribute to our nation and our world if I can bring myself to let go of the blame and find that authentic place of unity where Ms. Palin and I are one. I may fail miserably, but I know that I will gain a great deal in honoring the divinity in me by looking for the soul of Sarah Palin.

The hair on the back of my neck stands up straight as a Polar bear looking for her cub anytime I hear Sarah talkin'. How dare she whip up hatred based on unfounded lies when she tells so many lies her...
The hair on the back of my neck stands up straight as a Polar bear looking for her cub anytime I hear Sarah talkin'. How dare she whip up hatred based on unfounded lies when she tells so many lies her...

No comments: