Thursday, November 19, 2009

Celebrate Global Entrepreneurship Week

The Problem: It was the early 90's. I didn't like the glitter goop hair accessories I saw in the stores. Since I have a massive amount of hair I needed some gizmo to corral at least some of it.

The Solution: I bought a glue gun and silk flowers. I glued them on the barrette. Wearing that barrette transformed my unruly mess of hair in to a garden of curls. A top boutique owner saw me wearing my homemade barrette. She liked it, bought it and sold $1000 of them in the first week. Within six months that same piece was featured in Women's Wear Daily. An afternoon craft project turned into a company called Elizabeth Davidson Design. I started the company with $17 and a glue gun. It grew to $1.5 million in retail sales in four years.

Like millions of others around the planet becoming an entrepreneur recast the shape my life.

The Point: An enterprising person solves problems. My story illustrates that even a very small solution to a very small problem can be the seed of a business. In the current economy there are many problems that are in need of solution.

What's In It For You: Having an idea and taking a small action has the power to change your life. You have the power to take an action that can make a huge difference.

What is a problem that you see a solution for? What good idea have you been sitting on? Is there a market for that solution? How do you get started? How do you solve the problems along the way?

No comments: