Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Overcoming Fear

Have you ever been afraid of something and you didn't know why? Well I felt like that yesterday. Yesterday I had to perform a monologue in my acting class after not having performed in a LONG time. All day I kept thinking "I won't go to class...ahhh but I have to..No, why go if it's stressing me? I don't need more stress!...ahhh." Anyway, I decided to go...but I kept thinking...why am I so frustrated? I think I was scared of doing my monologue in front of all those really talented people. But why was I so afraid? I've never been afraid of the stage...I'm never afraid of performing and making a complete fool of myself..but for some reason, I was terrified yesterday.

After ruminating on the matter for some time after, I've concluded that I was scared that "If you don't use it, you lose it." Yes, it's a little cheesy...but I was terrified that I had forgotten how to act. Anyway...to make a long story short, I went to class...did my monologue...and surprised everyone with my "strong" performance. Until that point, I was the quiet, shy girl...I'm Not Shy!..I'm just reserved...I suppose the worst place to be reserved is acting class...but it takes time to adjust to the environment, right? I hope so. Bottom line: last night, I came out of my shell..I faced my fear of whateveritwas...and I will not be afraid of going back to class. I think I've already said this in previous posts, but I will say it again, the best way to face any fear...known or unknown...is to grab the bull by the horns and embrace the leap into oblivion.

-Irina

No comments: