Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Are You A People Pleaser? Take The Quiz!


Maybe there is something in the Kansas water that is the love potion of mixed marriages. Like Barack Obama, I am a half-breed. Growing up as a Quew (Quaker-Jew) on a gravel road in Bucyrus, Kansas was not easy. Mom was Quaker and my Dad was Jewish. Neither religion claimed me. Maybe that's why they chose our 80-acre "Green Acres With Kids" existence. Neither parent was a farmer -- so we faked it.

I went to a prep school in Kansas City where waitresses served us lunch and spent weekends on the farm with kids that ate fried squirrel. (I am not kidding... fried squirrel.) My youth was spent polishing my chameleon act as I shuttled between two different worlds with completely different values. I learned to take my cues from those around me instead of speaking up. Fitting in seemed more important than being the crazy patchwork quilt that was authentically me.

What about you?

The People Pleaser Quiz

Is it hard for you to set and keep healthy boundaries?
Do you think that you will be abandoned or punished if you do or say the wrong thing?
Do you tolerate behaviors that don't work for you to 'keep the peace' or get ahead?
Do you say yes when you want to say no?
Do you do things you regret later, so someone will have a better opinion of you?
If you answered yes to more than 1 of these questions you are a People Pleaser. Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eli-davidson/are-you-a-people-pleaser_b_125445.html

No comments: